Thursday, February 23, 2012

Debt Collector Blues

This is for everyone out there who has found themselves on the receiving end of a debt collector's phone call....

I was contacted back in December of a debt that I alleged owed that was more than 5 years old.  Mind you, this woman called me at work and identified herself as a paralegal for this law office.  I guess by her saying that, I was suppose to be intimidated.  Yeah right.  She went on sounding like "blah, blah, blah." You know the sound--what the teacher's and grown ups sound like on Charlie Brown.  I told her I had no clue what she was talking about and to please not call my work number anymore. Okay.  I thought every thing was fine UNTIL she called me back in February (at work).  Again, she was asked to not call me at work and that I did not owe any debt.  She was trying her best to out talk me. What?  Really?  Out talk..Me? Needless to say, she met Mr. Click.

She stalked me three days in a row.  The second day my coworker took a message and we looked up the number she gave and information on the supposed law firm she was calling from.  Can you say BOGUS. Let's break it down--B.O.G.U.S.  There were all kinds of complaints against this law firm and people reporting them to the FTC.  They had at least three names associated to them.  Wow!!  So on the third day, Ms. Stalker called me (at work even though she was asked not to) and before she could go on, I asked her to give me the address of the law firm. She said sure, and as I had my pen poised and ready, she hung up on me.  You heard me--the witch hung up on me.  That told me right there that "somethin' just ain't right."

First, if this was indeed a law firm, all the numerous letters she claimed she mailed to me, I would have received.  Secondly, when I called her back one time, the lady that answered the phone sure did not answer it correctly..very unprofessional.  And finally, she would not have hung up on me when I asked her to provide an address. So guess what I did????? Yep, I filed a complaint with the FTC.

I shared this because you must be careful about people like this.  You need to be aware of your rights.  And you need to be aware of what the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act says.  It tells you what a debt collector can and can not do.  Be aware of the statute of limitations in your state.  For Texas, it is four years. They CAN NOT sue you once the statute of limitations pass.

So please be aware of imitators and fraudulent people claiming to work for a law firm.  If you have a name of the company and a number, check them out on the internet.  RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!!!

So if you get called by someone representing Oxford Law, LLC--don't get caught up.  Don't argue.  Don't say anything.  Just ask for their address and see what happens next......


Just Saying,
Niesey


No comments:

Post a Comment